Santa is HERE and Hong Kong is alive with the sound of Christmas carols, and the White Christmas Street Fair in Quarry Bay is just the ticket to put you in a festive holiday spirit. Put on by Swire Properties for the second year in a row at Taikoo Place, this well planned event has something for everyone young and old, including DIY workshops, fortune telling, local singers, hockey games, figure skating and of course shopping (you can even pick up hard-to-find Advent calendars)! In fact, there’s so much to see and do and buy and try that they’ve had to extend the street fair an additional day!
The event’s tagline, ‘It’s fun, it’s festive, it’s sweet’ is Johnny spot on! I was there for the grand opening today and had a ball nibbling on Christmas pie and drinking hot mulled wine brewed by the team from Sugar (the fabulous rooftop lounge bar atop the East Hong Kong hotel). I even bought a Hello Kitty Advent calendar for my daughter just for fun.
What surprised me the most is the high end handcrafts and goods on sale. It’s definitely not the ‘crap’ that has been popping up in the malls over the past week. From high-end brand name goods to wonderful handicrafts made locally and in Cambodia from the NGO Operation Santa Claus, you’ll be queuing to shop, shop, shop in this festive wonderland. Although this isn’t the full list of businesses, these were my favourite stalls:
- Anouk – body care and lifestyle products
- Great Food Hall – where I bought the fabulous Hello Kitty advent calendar!
- Jenbrial Patisserie – absolutely adorable handmade sweets ‘décor’
- Operation Santa Claus – the NGO is finding ways to make a real difference in the community
- Chico-oholic – adorable kids apparel
- Sim’s Sweet Shop – UK sweets and treats, including massive chocolate bars
- Chic Home Deco – wonderful textile and home decorating items
I have already plugged a couple of the upcoming activities into my calendar. I definitely suggest you don’t miss:
- Oodles and oodles of mouth-watering food and drink
- The musical “Oliver” at the Street Fair on 5 Dec at 6:40pm put on by the Hong Kong Youth Arts Foundation – it looks wonderful!
- “TaiKoo Place Santathon” Candy Challenge on 6 December from 12:00-14:00, where kids and families dress up as Santa and race through a Candy Wonderland all around TaiKoo Place, playing fun and whimsical Candy Challenges – all proceeds from the registration fee for this are donated to Operation Santa Claus so it’s for a really great cause!
- Watch a stunning figure skating performance from some of Hong Kong’s finest skaters on 5 Dec at 6pm and 6 Dec at 5pm
The countdown to Christmas has definitely begun so go on and get chockablock full of Christmas cheers!
© 2014, Angela Carson and AngelasAsia.com. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.