As the glass doors open into the lobby, you’ll be greeted with a smile and the first hint that exceptional service is what the lovely and exotic Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur Hotel is all about. Tell the fabulously (traditionally) dressed greeter there that you’d like to check in at the Horizon Club and she’ll whisk you upstairs … and your divine stay begins. This property has a lot going for it, including the fact that is home to one of my favourite executive lounges in all of KL and its central location just a few blocks from Petronas Towers. It’s an awesome home base for both business and leisure travellers, and a great staycation hotel in Kuala Lumpur. That’s what I did, complete with a spa session, sushi at their Japanese restaurant Zipangu, high tea, and sipping bubbles in the lobby lounge to catch up on work.
Take a Tour With Me >>
Why You’ll Love Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur
- Horizon Club! This is undoubtedly one of the best Executive Lounges in all of KL. It’s bright and open, spacious and modern, and the service is absolutely amazing. The staff is attentive to a legendary degree and it’s so large that it never feels cramped, which is how most exec clubs feel during cocktail hour (you know what I mean!). They serve 3 reds and 3 whites at happy hour, which again is impressive. If I made a Top 5 List today, Horizon Club would be at either tied for #1 or #2…it’s that good.
- Afternoon Tea in the Lobby Lounge! Shangri-La takes an Asian approach to their afternoon tea that is very refreshing (literally, hehe). Whether you’re sat in the high-vaulted ceiling dining and lounge area or next to the window alongside the fountain and pond, you’ll enjoy a Malaysian experience … complete with hand-poured chai if that floats your boat. This is the only 5-star hotel in town that I know of that serves a formal yet delightfully unpretentious Malaysian high tea. I highly recommend it.
- Horizon Club Premier Room! I’ve seen the photos of the Premier vs Horizon Premier rooms and the devil is in the details here. Of course they’re on the higher floors but that’s standard, right? Yet they’ve gone further and added a chandelier and other extras like a swish amenities kit from L’Occitane to make it feel a bit more regal and luxe. It’s not huge room but it is very well appointed and with a lovely view.
- Their Hedge Maze! I was absolutely bummed that it was raining each time I tried to go walk through their garden maze. I haven’t been through one in years and it looked like good fun. Be sure to ask the staff to show you the door that leads out to it, it’s a little hidden.
My biggest complaint was with the bathroom. There’s no natural light so it feels like it should be lit a differently to make it brighter. My eyesight is starting to go a bit so I needed to put on makeup at the desk instead of in the bathroom.
Connect with Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur
- For more information or to make a reservation be sure to visit their website.
- Be sure to follow Shangri-La Kuala Lumpur on Facebook for tons of foodie fun!
© 2017, Angela Carson and LuxuryBucketList.com. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.