When I travelled to KL for the first time in 2016, it was recommended that I take the airport train to Sentrul and then hop into a taxi to reach the city. Thankfully I learned quickly that using the Grab app is actually the best, cheapest, and fastest airport transfer for KLIA, KLIA2, and Subang Airports from downtown KL. They have a fixed rate for GrabCar to KLIA and KLIA2 at 65 Ringgits (plus tolls if you go that route, which I recommend at less than RM 10 from KLCC). And for Grab Premium, the posh sister of GrabCar that offers up BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, luxe vans, and others you’ll pay RM150 to/from KLIA/KLIA2 and just RM 50’ish to/from Subang Airport.
As a solo traveller, it may seem like the train is an affordable option but it can be a pain in the ass. In fact, it can end up being the most expensive and time consuming option if you’re not staying relatively close to KL Sentral. I did it once and that was enough for me, especially considering the amount of gear I lug around.
Don’t Take Train to Kuala Lumpur’s Airports!
- For 2 people, the train costs RM55 each and you need to still pay for a taxi or Grab to where you’re staying.
- With GrabCar, 2 people would pay RM 33 each all-inclusive and 3 people would pay only RM 22 each.
How Grab App Works
- Download the Grab app from either iOS App Store or Google Play
- Enter your pickup location (see video for my tips for Subang and KLIA/KLIA2)
- Input your drop location (every hotel and building in KL is in there so it’s easy peasy)
- Order and track your driver’s arrival
- For full details, visit Grab’s website