I still smile when I think back on my stay with The Wembley, the shiny and new’ish St. Giles property located smack dab in the heart of downtown Penang. In part because I met some really wonderful and amazing people there but also because of there was so much about my stay that felt very 5-star’ish that I was truly knocked off my socks. Launched in the Spring of 2015, The Wembley has birds-eye views of the Andaman Sea, a very cool rooftop bar, and wonderful treats in their Executive Lounge. If you’re looking for either a helipad or affordable luxury that includes impressive Club level service then you’ve found the right hotel for you. Watch my video for all the colourful details and panoramic views of The Wembley:
Why You’ll Love The Wembley
- Location, location, location! You can’t get anymore central and close to all the action than at The Wembley.
- It has a helipad! I’m a single engine pilot but I’ve also taken helicopter lessons and they won my heart with helipad. Although, to be honest, I don’t have the budget to be able to fly from my homebase of KL to Penang by private helo but … we can dream, right?
- The view! What you’ll see from the executive rooms, the Club, and especially the rooftop bar is an absolutely perfect vista on Penang. It’s the perfect backdrop for meals and fun or special moments.
- It’s affordable luxury! While the prices are very low, the experience you’ll have and the service level are at a very high standard.
Executive Deluxe – Club Level
Located on the 29th floor with amazing views of the Andaman Sea, these rooms have impressively high ceilings and a nice big window that together give an extra feeling of expansiveness and air to your stay. They even include a prayer rug for Muslim guests, and it was a really nice one … colourful and soft. While admittedly I did miss having a bathtub, that’s my only big complaint about my room.
TIP: the first room I was given had a city view, so I called down and they moved me to the room you see in the video and below. Definitely book a sea view room in advance, it’s well worth it. It turned my room from ‘okay’ to ‘exceptional’ just like that and was a true highlight of my stay!
This chilled lounge is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of downtown Penang. Wembley Club offers up daily breakfast, afternoon tea, an evening cocktail hour, and refreshments and a few snacks all day long. There’s a small business centre, an outdoor smoking area, and an area with comfy sofas.
It’s worth it just for the breakfast, given that Wembley Cafe can become quite busy and packed at that time. However, my favourite part was watching the sunset during the daily happy hour with all the yummy canapés and wine, enjoying peppy banter with a fellow traveller I had the fortune of making friends with just as I checked-in to the hotel!
Eat & Drink
With four venues to tuck into at The Wembley, you’re sure to find something to tempt you day or night. I enjoyed a tasty (and fabulously hella-strong) iced latte at the Lobby Lounge, dinner the first night at Wembley Club and dinner on the rooftop at DSRT Sky Room. The only spot I didn’t try out was their Japanese restaurant Enoshima.
While the food menu is a bit limited at the rooftop bar, they have a great wine list and selection of whiskeys and scotches that’ll impress and delight you, all at a really reasonable price, too. Honestly, just look at the pics below … the view there was the best I saw in Penang from downtown. I absolutely loved it!
TIP: Try to catch the sunset from DSRT at least once, it’s lovely. Then once the sun sets, it cools down tremendously and you’ll notice that there’s a constant breeze from up on the rooftop. Makes it the perfect place for drinks under the stars in Penang.
- LIKE The Wembley, Penang on Facebook
- For more information or to make a reservation, visit their website or call them on +60 4-259 8000
- Address: 183, Jalan Magazine right downtown in George Town
- And be sure to follow the hotel’s group brand St. Giles on Instagram. They are doing something wonderful with that account … sharing the FUN things their guests do out and about while staying at their properties (instead of just self-promoting moments within their hotels). It’s super refreshing to see this strategy from a brand and has really endeared them to me. Love it!!!
© 2016, Angela Carson and LuxuryBucketList.com. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.